Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Fat Opera Singer"

Read this first *Language Disclaimer*: http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/10/lets-talk-about-thin-privilege/

While this article is aimed at women, it applies to men as well. It is a very interesting article, and I agree wholeheartedly. I often feel like I have to explain myself to the cashier at the grocery store simply because I'm buying a couple frozen meals to have on hand in case I need something fast before a rehearsal. I have been told by flight attendants that I need to buy a second seat for myself the next time I fly. I have had people laugh at me for walking around with a McDonald's bag when that was the only food I could afford before going to work.

Ms. Fabello makes some great points about privilege in general and the responses to fat- and skinny-shaming. However, she forgets to note that eating disorders aren't only for thin people. I am considered to have an eating disorder because I stress-eat and I often feel "addicted" to food. I also have hypothyroidism and have been told for a very long time that I am not as good as I could be as a human because I'm overweight. Now, these people that have mentioned my weight to me may have had very good intentions (teachers, friends, family members, etc.), but by pointing out that I really should do something about my weight if I was going to make it in this world it made me feel like I was less than I should be.

This same idea comes to play as an opera singer. Read this article before continuing: http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2014/05/20/314007632/in-2014-the-classical-world-still-cant-stop-fat-shaming-women

What is disheartening to me about that article is the fact that Miss Erraught is by no means obese. She is a full-figured women, but can anyone tell me why that is bad? When did someone's weight become the deciding factor over whether someone was healthy? Or even if they are talented? This issue has come to a head in my own life while I follow the Barihunks blog. There are some seriously talented singers on this blog; there are some that I would challenge in terms of technique, but there are many talented singers on this blog. However, I have recently realized that the Barihunks have been fat-shaming me inadvertently. Here I am, holding them up as the pinnacle of what an operatic baritone's body should be, all the while feeling like crap because that is not what I am.

The conclusion I have come to after 24 years of feeling sorry for myself and not feeling human because of the culture in which I live is that I am myself. I am exactly what I am supposed to be right now. I have also realized that I am nowhere near the health I should be in at this point in time. When I see friends rock climbing, I realize that I could not do that because I have no upper arm strength. I see friends walking everywhere and enjoying it, but I nearly died after a 2.45 mile walk yesterday and had to take the bus home just so I wouldn't faint. This is where I am: I need to be aware of my health, both for my own sake and the sake of my career.

I am in a perfect place to do this. I live in Missoula, Montana, where being outdoorsy is cool. People are constantly biking, running, walking, jogging, anything to be outside and exercise. I live within minutes' drives of hundreds of hiking trails. I am poised for a health shift, and I am working hard at that right now. I am tracking the food I'm eating, how much exercise I'm getting, even being aware of how much sugar I'm intaking (this is a big one as I work at Starbucks... those coffees sure stack up!). This is not because I feel shame for being fat anymore. In fact, I'm rather glad I'm obese. I'm rather vain and can only imagine how narcissistic I would be if I had our culture's idea of a perfect body. Instead, I take myself where I am and see myself getting to the health level at which I need to be.

Keep me honest. Ask me what I had to eat today. Check up on my water intake, how much sleep I'm getting, what I'm eating for snacks, and whether or not I'm exercising. I need the help to stay on track to get myself healthy and able to keep up with my friends and family.

Fat-shame me all you want, but "I'm big, [not so] blonde, and beautiful."


No comments:

Post a Comment